Tuesday 2 July 2013

Bacon and Egg "cupcakes"

Day 2 and so far things are going great. I am feeling a little weak, but not nearly as bad as all of the other diets I’ve been on. Usually by day 2 I feel so horrible and lethargic and depressed that I would start plotting my way out of the diet.
But not this one! I feel like I can carry on. Here and there I do have a little moment where I am overcome with a sweet-crave. Just a cup of coffee with some sugar in would be nice, or sometimes I freak out and see myself jumping into a pool of chocolate… She said it’s normal though, so I’m not booking myself into a mental hospital just yet. J
I am in a bit of a predicament, because she said we have to cut out whatever we are intolerant to for at least the first 5 days. So NO DAIRY AND NO WHOLEWHEATS for me. This forces me to be creative with my food. So I made THIS…….
 


It’s an egg and bacon cupcake…… no it's not...… It’s an egg and bacon cupcake without the flour.  It’s basically just eggs and bacon…
Here’s how you make it:

What you need:
5 free range large eggs
4 strips of unprocessed bacon (ask your butcher to cut you some)
Garlic
Salt, pepper, peri-peri and chicken spices
A mixing bowl
A whisk
A muffin pan
A normal pan
You chop up your bacon into pieces (any size you want) and put it in a pan on high heat. Pour your spices on to until you are satisfied with the taste. (Peri-peri spice, chicken spice, salt and pepper)   And fry your bacon until it is done. You can choose if you want it crispy or not, that’s up to you, if you want it crispy, just keep frying. Once you are satisfied, put aside. Switch on your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
Then break your eggs into a separate clean bowl, add some peri peri spice, salt and pepper and some garlic. You can add whatever else you like. You can add cheese if you don’t have to cut out your dairy, you can add celery or anything else really, it’s all up to you mkay? Mkay!
Whisk it all up and fill your cupcake hole only a quarter to half of the way, you don’t want to put too much in.
After you have filled your cupcakes holes about half way, you then add your bacon. Just scoop it in little bits at a time, to ensure that you have even amounts in each “cupcake”. I used a silicone tray, if you don’t have one, either use cupcakes cups or spray your cupcake tray with some oil or butter etc. otherwise your egg might stick to the bottom (I don’t know, I haven’t  tried it in a normal pan yet.
Chuck it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.  They will start ballooning up. It will look like this….


 (sorry, I couldn't get this one to rotate)
You will see they are starting to tear apart at the top, then you know it’s ready.
When you take it out, it deflates again.

But it’s SO tasty!!! Give it a try. And let me know what you think J




Tonight I am aiming to make Pork chops with asparagus, roasted baby marrows and cauliflower mash. If everything works out, I will tell you all about it tomorrow J
I will leave you with a tip: If you feel like you are craving something, and you feel like you really really need it right now, get up and brush your teeth. Your craving should immediately subside. Try it, it works for me. J

No comments:

Post a Comment